2010 Winter Olympics


I've just finished watching the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and it was simply spectacular. I loved the visuals, the welcome by the First Nations, the Parade of Nations, the music (especially k.d.lang singing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah--incredible), the poetry slam, the fiddles and tap dancing and tartans of the NE part of Canada, the imagery of the mountains, plains, oceans and ice, and the city of Vancouver. I love a city.

This Olympic Games began with crushing news--that Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died on the first day on the luge track. Remembrances to him in the Opening Ceremonies were solemn and for those of us who are fans of the winter sports, an athlete's death on the first day of competition sombers the celebration of Olympic sport.

I've always loved the Winter Olympics best. Of course, it's easy to love--and I do--the stud events like giant slalom, moguls, and hockey, but last Winter Games I became completely enamored of curling.

Brooms and rocks, baby. Brooms and rocks.

Popular Posts