Memorial Day 2010

On this day to honor our US servicemen and women, I honor one of those in my family who've served.

My grandfather, H. Earl Haggerty, was a saddlemaker and a veteran of World War II. He enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard and was transferred to the newly-formed Beach Patrol Station, where he was in charge of leather repair in all stations in Oregon and Washington. Fortunately, he had a crew of five to help him. After the threat of Japanese invasion had passed, he was transferred into supervising the loading of ammunition aboard ships bound for Guadalcanal, Bougainville and other war zones. He was discharged with a CPO rating in late 1945 and returned to Great Falls, Montana, where he raised a family and owned the H Bar O Saddlery.

Gramp died last July, and this is my first Memorial Day without him. I'm thinking of you, Gramp, and thanking you for your service, with so many who've served.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

Popular Posts